4 Questions to Ask About B12 Shots
If you have a pale complexion, or often experience disturbed vision, irritability, depression, and mouth ulcers, you might have B12 deficiency. Vitamin B12 shots are vitamin shots used to help the body absorb B12. Know everything about B12 shots at Optimal Balance Center now. To consult us, call us for more information or to request an appointment today! We are conveniently located at 701 FM 685, Ste 125 Pflugerville, TX 78660.
Table of Contents:
B12 is a vitamin that is vital for the health of the nervous system and is necessary to produce red blood cells, DNA, and other essential molecules in the body. They can be used as a way to boost the amount of B12 in the body and can help treat anemia; they are also quickly growing as a treatment for increasing energy levels and improving metabolic functions.
The human body needs vitamin B12 to make oxygen-carrying red blood cells and nerves; however, it is unable to manufacture its own supply. Instead, we must get it through our diets, primarily through meat, fish, poultry, eggs, and dairy products. People who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet may not get enough vitamin B12 in food; their levels may drop. Due to the effects of aging, older people may have trouble absorbing B12 from food.
A number of disorders, conditions and other factors can cause a vitamin B12 deficiency, including:
• Pernicious Anemia — This disorder causes the immune system to attack cells in the stomach that make intrinsic factor (IF), a protein that is needed to absorb B12. Experts are not sure what causes pernicious anemia; some people are born with it, but that is rare.
Symptoms can include:
• Pale skin
• Fast heart rate
• Age — Some older adults have a condition called atrophic gastritis, where their stomach does not make enough hydrochloric acid that helps absorb B12 from food.
• Intestinal Disorders — Certain health conditions make it hard for the small intestine to absorb B12, which may include:
• Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), such as:
• Ulcerative colitis
• Celiac disease
• Symptoms can include:
• Trouble thinking clearly
• Megaloblastic anemia
• Vegan or Vegetarian Diet — Most natural sources of B12 come from animal products, including meat, fish, dairy, and eggs. However, it is possible to get enough B12 on a vegan or strict vegetarian diet, such as through supplementation.
Vitamin B12 shots provide a long list of incredible benefits, including:
• Increases Energy Levels & Fights Fatigue — One of the most common symptoms of B12 deficiency is increased fatigue or lack of energy levels; vitamin B12 is required for proper energy production in mitochondria.
• Improves Metabolism — Another significant benefit of vitamin B12 supplementation is an increase in basal metabolic rate or metabolism, which is the most important factor in determining weight. Low vitamin B12, low mitochondrial energy production, low thyroid hormone, and low levels of exercise, have all been shown to slow down metabolism.
• Helps with Weight Loss — Although B12 shots do not directly result in weight loss, they do in an indirect way, such as with better sleep, higher metabolism, more energy, and increased mood; these lifestyle factors influence how the body loses weight and burns fat mass.
They also provide the following benefits:
• Helps improve sleeping patterns & circadian rhythm
• Increases concentration & mood
• Boosts the immune system
Injections of any type almost always require a prescription, and this is no different for B12. A medical exam and/or health consultation is necessary before a doctor will prescribe B12 injections. If you are looking for a trusted and qualified medical practice to provide you with B12 shots, come to the Optimal Balance Center today! For more information, call us or to request an appointment today! We are conveniently located at 701 FM 685, Ste 125 Pflugerville, TX 78660. We serve patients from Pflugerville TX, Austin TX, Round Rock TX, Hutto TX, Georgetown TX, Cedar Park TX, Taylor TX, and Manor TX. We look forward to serving you!